Large cosmetic companies are continuing to use synthetic and petrochemical ingredients in personal care products. Pick up any bottle of lotions, cream, shampoo, conditioner, or toothpaste in your house right now and see how many natural ingredients they contain.
Another popular use is in bath oils. In this case, it supposedly keeps moisture locked in, and makes the skin feel smooth. Since dry skin generally feels rough and flaky, the assumption is that if the skin feels smooth, then it is moist.
The hole in these theories is that mineral oil doesn’t allow the skin to ‘breathe’. While it may keep moisture in, it also prevents the body from absorbing oxygen and from eliminating toxins and other waste products – both of which are such vital bodily processes that their malfunction could create dry skin, and many other unhealthy conditions.
Mineral oil is not absorbed into your skin because the molecules are too large. It just sits on top of your skin and clogs your pores, which doesn't allow your skin to absorb water (moisture) which slows the skins ability to eliminate toxins.
Remember, the skin in the body's largest organ and plays an important role in maintaining overall health! Once the oil is absorbed, it is broken down by the liver and passes through the intestinal tract, it will absorb all of the fat-soluble vitamins found there. It is essentially stealing important vitamins from the body, which the body will not be able to replace. This can eventually lead to nutritional deficiencies.
Mineral Oil increases the photo-aging of the skin...
......and we wonder why we keep looking older, why our skin continues to dry out, even with all the products we use? (Plus you will burn faster when using petroleum products...and a burn is not a tan).
So, the skin problem is not being treated, it’s being masked, and possibly even worsened. This will quickly be obvious once you stop using the products, and find that the skin problems immediately reappear. Also, your skin can become more dehydrated because mineral oil dissolves your skins natural oil.
Have you ever broken out after using a new product? If you have, there's a good chance that product contained mineral oil, as mineral oil is the main cause for break outs. You may also want to check the label on the baby oil you're using.
Most are 100% mineral oil. Petroleum, paraffin, paraffin oil and propylene glycol are all derivatives of mineral oil and have similar effects on your skin. Propylene glycol, in particular, has been known to inhibit cell growth and has been linked to kidney damage and liver abnormalities.
The solution is to use a product that locks in moisture and forms a protective barrier against environmental toxins, without leaving a greasy or oily film that prevents the body from absorbing oxygen and eliminating wastes – which is how a shielding natural product works. For that reason, thousands of doctors are now recommending a good shielding natural oil based product instead of mineral oil products to help rashes and other dry skin conditions.
- Petroleum by-products coats the skin like plastic, clogging the pores.
- Interferes with skin's ability to eliminate toxins, promoting acne and other disorders.
- Slows down skin function and cell development, resulting in premature aging.
- Used in many products (baby oil is 100% mineral oil!) Any mineral oil derivative can be contaminated with cancer causing PAH's (Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons).
- Manufacturers use petrolatum because it is unbelievably cheap. Mineral oil, a common ingredient in commercial lotions, creams, and baby care products, is produced as a byproduct of the distillation of gasoline from crude oil, the same stuff they make gasoline from.
- Mineral oil is leftover liquid, and because it is abundant, it is very inexpensive. It is less expensive for manufacturers to purchase these by-products as a filler than it is for the industry to dispose of it.
What is the Alternative to Mineral Oils?
Over recent years there has been an increase in research into mineral oil alternatives, driven by the demand for products which are more environmentally friendly. However, many alternatives are not as stable or as cost effective as mineral oil and as a result have not been as effective in replacing them. Due to the high cost of natural or organic oils.
All Precious Me products are formulated with Natural Botanical ingredients that are quickly absorbed by the skin to hydrate and protect it from the environment and the hand of time by allowing the skin to breathe.
Coming Soon... Virgin Coconut Oil!
Pure, Cold-Pressed & Unrefined. Nourishing and healing... and multi-purpose.
- Great massage oil for you and baby
- Great for hair and scalp to help reduce hair loss & encourage hair growth
- An anti-dandruff treatment as well
- As an effective make-up remover
- Use on minor cuts and burns to speed up healing
- You can even use it in food preparations, or consume about a tablespoon a day for overall health and well-being
- For a more detailed explanation into this amazing oil, visit http://www.coconut-connections.com/skin_care.htm